A leap into the past
How the place got this name has already been guessed. The famous pastor from Mala Sunday and the first Styrian-Slovenian historian Anton Krempl was of the opinion that the first syllable of the word of Avar origin was supposed to mean water.
For the use of social plugins such as Like, Share and Follow buttons. enable external cookies
Then the chronicler Matej Slekovec performed the Slovene name from the German word "Wehr and See", which can be translated as a fort or in connection with the German word Wour - the embankment in the water. Stanko Vraz and Kovačič thought that the place was originally called "in the r'zhi" or "in the r'zhej". It was supposed to have a connection to the sown field with the rye, although these species did not yet know before the German colonization, when the settlement was supposed to exist at this site. Thus, the question arises whether their guess is correct at all.
Veržej has played a special role in the past due to the Hungarian border. The first bridge at Veržej was built in 1922 and the present in 1967. Previously, the only means of transportation to the left bank of the Mura Brod River was the only means of passage on the left bank of the Mura Brod, which was well guarded and defended by the Verževci. It was for this reason that he acquired special rights as a market - the market was allowed without customs and myths to sell their goods through Styria, Upper and Lower Austria, and later in Carinthia. The place was lively pulse and salt trafficking. Here were a permanent warehouse of military supplies and a salt storage. Thus, it was a home to the customs officers and officials of the Salt Office, and occasionally there was a reinforced military crew. The military warehouse later changed its destination to the inn, which was called "old barracks". For many centuries, the trade route with salt took place from Upper Styria or Salzburg to the Austrian Lipnica, and from there through the Mura River all the way to the warehouse in Veržej and further towards Ormož.
Once upon a time, the town is supposed to stand in the town and the castle. The first was located at the place where the municipality and the cultural home with a large hall today stands, and the second is supposed to exist in Banovci, in Lampiščak - a good stone -east of the Ban's Terme, according to folk tradition. They also keep a picture of a lamp, which they have as their humorous village coat of arms. Remains of an ancient building were found in the construction of the Veržje railway station in 1923, so it is believed that the Roman Road was held from Ptuj via Mura. An ancient shards were found in the 1962 probing, but because of the train station, they could not undertake major research. The Old Slavic observers were also found here, which is kept by the Maribor Museum. The finds of stone ax, bronze objects and grills indicate the existence of a prehistoric settlement.